Friday, October 14, 2011

This Broccoli Soup will Change Your Life

































Want a creamy soup without the cream? You can have your soup and eat it, too because I have a life-changing tip for you.















Replacing the cream with a potato makes the soup creamy without the fat. Boom.


Does it taste the same? Hell no. Cream does not equal potato. But, it does taste great and you won't miss the cream.


































Broccoli Soup
Serves 4

2 TBL butter
2 TBL olive oil
1 1/2 lbs broccoli
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or a handful of baby carrots
salt & pepper
3 TBL flour
4 cups water, or vegetable stock
1 vegetable bouillon cube (omit if using stock)
1 potato, chopped

Melt butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a soup pot. Add onions and saute for a couple minutes, then ad broccoli and carrot and lots of salt & pepper. Saute for another few minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the flour and cook about 1 minute or until flour begin to brown very lightly.

Add water, cube, and potato and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until broccoli and potato are soft.

Pour, in batches, into a blender to get a creamy, delicious soup. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. I have everything needed (I think.) I can use frozen broccoli right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can totally use frozen broccoli! You will just need to adjust the heat and probably won't need to cook as long. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to make the soup last night! It was fantastic. I had planned to use it as an appetizer but once we were done eating, we were so full we didn't need anything else. I'm totally stalking your recipes now lol. I've been short of inspiration for cooking and you're amazing.

    I think your comment about us as a culture, wanting to see celebrities fail sometimes is very appropriate. I was really tired last night but not tired enough to go to sleep and ended up watching a SouthPark episode about how America needed Britney Spears to kill herself in order to fulfil the sacrificial requirement for a "good corn harvest". So they hounded her to death and made mean comments to her until she was dead. Horrible show that I sort of wish I could scrub my brain clean of, but it was totally in line with what you said.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...