Friday, October 7, 2011

Microscope Heart


I have been pondering the smallest thing that makes me happy thanks to the Microscope Heart series on one of my favorite blogs, Vintch. My post on the fork was featured today so go check them out! It is a very interesting and insightful blog that I love to read. 



The smallest thing that makes me happy is the fork. 

The fork can mash, the fork can feed. The fork can work magic with cold butter and flour. The fork is my trusty go-to kitchen utensil. It never fails me when the food processor won't process or the beaters won't beat. It knows when the meat is done and how much longer the potatoes need cooking. 

My mother was not much of a cook, but when in doubt she'd advise you to use a fork to stir the biscuits or mix the cookie dough. And she's right. All you need is a fork and your hands. It lets you feel the texture of the ingredients, the weight and the thickness. The fork brings me back to the taste of things, the enjoying of things, the slow mixing together of sugar and eggs. 

The fork doesn't mind if you scrape the bowl or smash the bananas extra hard because you're mad. It keeps quiet when you eat just one more bite of cake. We can do this thing called cooking, me and the fork, and we can certainly do the eating, too.  


2 comments:

  1. We all need to appreciate the little things more. Great post. : )

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so poetic. It's honest, beautiful, and most of all...true. Great writing, Gwen!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...