Thursday, November 3, 2011

Witches Brew aka Broccoli Potato Soup

Sometimes I happen by a recipe that brings out the little girl in me. Little Gwen would have loved a thick green soup concocted in a pot with a handle. She would have also loved mashed purple sweet potatoes and homemade butterfingers.



Halloween is definitely the holiday that brings out little Gwen the most. It was a relief to see her this week, as things have been, well, less than cheerful around here. I was totally not into Halloween this year. Thank God I'm a teacher because, once again, the children have saved me. Little Gwen just could not resist dressing up for school, in a chef costume.


Dustin liked the hat, too. Yes, I made it.


The festive atmosphere at school spiraled. When I got home we decorated the house, carved a pumpkin and whipped up some witches brew. Sadly, we did not have any trick-or-treaters, but we had fun getting in the spooky spirit.





Halloween is over but that doesn't mean your little self can't enjoy some roasted pumpkin seeds, a scary movie on a stormy night, peanut butter hot chocolate, or all of the above.



Here's to our inner children. Let 'em out.



Witches Brew (Broccoli Potato Soup) 
inspired by Food and Wine
serves at least 6

2 TBL butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
4 boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 cups water
salt & pepper
parmesan cheese

In a large soup pot, over medium heat, saute the onion until translucent. Add some salt and pepper.

Add the garlic, broccoli, potatoes, water and lots more salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then bring down to a simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until your veggies are soft enough to squish with a fork.

You can throw it in a blender at this point for a smooth soup, but we opted to just smash the veggies until it was the consistency we wanted.

Add some parmesan, a good handful should do in, and stir, tasting to see if you need more seasoning.

Serve with more parmesan. So easy. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. That jack-o-lantern is wonderful. Glad to see you managed to enjoy Halloween. I've never heard of peanut butter hot chocolate. I don't suppose you have a recipe for that? That sounds like something I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter hot chocolate! Um....I'm gonna need that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya! I found your blog through Hannah at chill air & perfume.

    This recipe looks ahhmazing & I will definitely be trying it in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...