Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beans, Beans the Magical Fruit



Wait, are beans really a fruit? Or does it just rhyme with toot?



Someone help me out here.



In other news, we went to a bbq this week and wanted to bring a side dish to share. I looked in the cupboards, I looked in the fridge and whammy! This magic bean salad was born. It screams healthy living, so you should eat a lot of it and enjoy your healthy warming glow.








Magic Bean Salad
serves 10ish

Dressing:
1 TBL finely minced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minces
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder (I used chili pallisa molido, a mild one)
1 tsp honey or agave
juice from 1 lime
salt & pepper
1/3 cup olive oil

Salad:
3 cans of beans (I used 1 each: pinto, black, garbanzo)
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, seeds and membrane removed
1 avocado, cut into bite sized chunks
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro

In a large bowl whisk together the minced onion, garlic, mustard, cumin, chili powder, honey, lime, and salt & pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking to incorporate.

Add the beans, tomato, onion, and pepper to the bowl and mix well to coat all with dressing. Add green onion and avocado and mix gently so as not to mush up the avocado. Top with cilantro.

You may want to make this a couple hours ahead of time to allow the beans to really soak up the flavors of the dressing. Or not. Whatever.

P.S. This salad would be great as a taco filling.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. HEAVEN!! I love beans! I must make it this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look delish!

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beans and I are having a moment right now so this will definitely be on my menu!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...