Sunday, August 7, 2011

Arugula Pesto

Sometimes plans fail. I wanted to make a beautiful arugula pesto for you, but it ended up being an exercise in creativity. First, after getting the arugula all washed I realized that not only did I only have a tiny chunk of parmesan, the only nuts in the house was a handful of pistachios. Here we go. I'm not backing down.


Especially because I have so much delicious garden fresh arugula to consume. Pesto you are mine.


The meager ingredients I had to work with. Sometimes you gotta just suck it up and go with what you got.


Oh and my food processor and I had a fight. Maybe he was mad at me for almost burning his engine out making banana ice cream. He refused to process and I was starting to think Dustin was right when he kept saying, "you're going to break it."


We made up after I figured out that the pistachios were sticking to the blades and making the thing off-balance. Tragedy averted.


I tossed it with some hot cooked pasta and topped with a little more cheese.




It actually turned to be more than edible. Dustin loved it. After all that nonsense you still want to try it:

Arugula Pesto
Probably serves 4


2 big handfuls arugula
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (but if I had an alternative, I'd use almonds)
2 TBL lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
salt&pepper

Shove all the above ingredients in your food processor except the olive oil. Pulse as you slowly add the oil, the amount depends on the consistency you like. And seriously, if your food processor starts getting off balance (like a washing machine) don't hit it. There are probably pistachios stuck on the blades, so scrape them off. Process until smooth. Enjoy on pasta, toasted bread, sandwiches, or...?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...