Saturday, July 2, 2011

Volcano Escape: Backpacking Adventure

Just got back from a solo backpacking trek through Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Feet are sore, muscles stiff, and soul brimming after the just shy of an 8 mile hike into Halape, a magical beach surrounded by stark lava. The hike was hot, but the beach was so good. Two days of bliss.





Lovely campsite under a palm, not another person (but lots of souls) around.


Lunch on stone table and chairs. Maybe a game of Hawaiian checkers?




While looking for petroglyphs (Hawaiian rock carvings) in the lava, I happened upon another beach, tucked between cliff and lava. Magic beach.




Took a few dips in the brackish ponds, hidden in deep fissures, and filled with gold, which I think is some kind of algae.


Surrounded by tiki carved from old palm tree stumps, I felt protected, even from scorpions like the one that crawled on the outside (phew!) of my tent.




With the beach all to myself, it was time to get a real tan. And explore the most pristine tide pools I've ever seen.



So I got a little lost on the hike out, no matter, it gave me a new perspective on the place, and I found a trail that wasn't on the map!


Where are your favorite escapes?

1 comment:

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...