Friday, July 29, 2011

Philosophy of Sick

I've been sick the last couple of days. Some sort of flu bug began attacking my joints, then my head, then eyeballs, and then next thing you know even my clothes started to hurt. The worst is over now, which I'd like to attribute to my current Philosophy of Sick.

Sbritt

1. Medicine of any kind is not allowed unless absolutely necessary. For example, I popped some extra strength Tylenol before going to work on Wednesday (don't worry there were no children to endanger, just a teacher work day) so I could get through the day. The reason for this is if you have a) the flu, you gotta give your body a chance to burn it out of you, after all that's what a fever is doing* or b) a cold, taking cold medicines only suppress the symptoms, sometimes making them worse and pretty much always making your cold last longer than necessary. And yes, being sick without medicine is miserable, but worth it if it means I can get better faster.

2. Drink lots of clear pop. And fluids, especially tea with honey and lemon if you have a cold or sore throat type of illness. In case you were wondering, I've recently re-adopted the word "pop" in place of soda because I always said pop growing up and you now how I like to keep it real. Sugar is probably a bad choice, but my mom always gave us clear pop when sick, so I just gotta have it.

3. The Neti pot. Please, please try this if you have any sort of cold. It is a wonderful, natural way to clear your sinuses and nasal passages and really works. The best part is it prevents the whole green snot condition.
cindyletz

4. Rest. This one took me too long to learn and succumb to. But the reality is, you ain't gettin' better if you don't sit your butt down and take it easy for a bit.

*Since I'm not a doctor, please do your own research or consult your doctor before taking any of my advice, these are all just my opinions.

What am I missing here? What are your magical tricks for getting well?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...