Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life is Zesty (cake that is)

Nothing celebrates life better than a lemon cake.

You start to realize these things as you slowly escape your twenties.


























I'm one of those people who refuses to make her own birthday cake. Apparently I'm also one of those people who do not own round cake pans.

So my husband made me a cake. He's so good. No really, he made an amazing first-time-ever-making-a-cake-from-scratch cake.

Let's pretend I don't get mad that he is good at everything. Yay Dustin for making better cakes than me!






































Can I just say that Oprah is officially off the air at 4pm on weekdays. No more reruns. This is real. Be nice to me, I'm in mourning.




























So, not only did this guy make a great cake, he chaperoned my ladies only birthday party without complaining and kept secret that my friend flew over from Maui to surprise me. Three cheers for life!


All this comes at a perfect time. I've been feeling quite low lately, but a healthy dose of love and gratitude ain't got nothing on the blues.

Life is Zesty Cake
(from Cooking Light)

Cake:
2 TBL plus 2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (plus more for greasing pans)
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 TBL grated lemon rind
2 TBL fresh lemon juice
Icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 TBL lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 (8-inch) cake pans with butter. Line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with more butter and and dust with flour.
Spoon 2 cups flour into measuring cups and combine with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk.
Place sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (5 mins or so). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture slowly. Beat in lemon rind and 2 TBL lemon juice.
Pour batter into pans and bake for 32 minutes on until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool pans for 10 mins before removing from pans.
To make icing, combine powdered sugar and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
Ice your cake after cooling. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...