Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sustainable Sunday: Sweet Potato Salad


For those that are new here, every Sunday I post a recipe for a sustainable meal, made from locally sourced ingredients that is. It has been great fun hearing about the Sustainable Sunday meals you all have come up with, too. Rosanne shared her smashed potato recipe, Tami found local asparagus to go with her freezer full of wild game, and Patty served her lovely family a lunch of fresh bananas, avocados, eggs, and veggies right from her back yard. I love it, I love it, I love it!

To make it easier for all of you out there who are dying to share your very own Sustainable Sunday recipes, I've included a LinkyTool below that will allow you to link your recipe to this, and future, posts so that we can all see what you've made. If you are not a blogger, please continue to send me your photos and messages and I'll be sure to give you a shout out.

On to the recipe. I've been wanting to make a sweet potato salad for a long time, and finally all the ingredients aligned. If I had a Vitamix, I'd make my own coconut milk, but the canned version will have to do for now. This salad is light and bright, perfect for a bbq or potluck.



Coconut Lime Sweet Potato Salad 
serves 2 (can be easily doubled)

2 purple sweet potatoes (Okinawan)
1/2 cup coconut milk
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 red pepper
salt to taste
1 green onion, sliced

Steam the potatoes until soft with pierced with a fork. Allow to cool, then cube.

In a medium bowl, whisk coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, pepper, and salt together. Add cubed potatoes and green onion, stir to coat. Enjoy!

Sweet potatoes found at Costco. Lime, ginger, and salt found at KTA. Onion from the garden. Red pepper and coconut milk were not locally sourced.


Sweet Potato Salad

3 comments:

  1. What incredible vibrant colours! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking this idea! Now that I feel better I'm chomping at the bit to get back in the kitchen and celebrate the warmer weather we're FINALLY having. This sounds so different and tasty. I'm excited to get myself some more coconut milk soon so I can definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okinawan sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. This salad looks great, so clean. Very unlike the way too much may potato salads I'm used to seeing.

    p.s. I want a vitamix too.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...