Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Split pea soup

I had some amazing carrots come out of my garden this season and I had to eat them before I left on vacation, so last night was split pea soup for dinner.

This recipe comes from a friend in Denver, I've added a few things to spice it up:

1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup uncooked green split peas
1 qt plus 1 c water(use stock if you have it)
1 c chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 c chopped carrot
1 chili (chipotle, jalepeno...I used a Hawaiian chili pepper, only 1/2 though, those buggas are hot!)
2 TBL fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
salt and pepper to taste
feta cheese

Cook the rice. Sautee onions, garlic, and carrot in a large soup pot for a few minutes. Add peas, water, thyme, and chili. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour to an hour and 1/2, until peas are mushy. Add the rice. Serve topped with feta cheese.

I don't think this hearty soup needs meat, but if you really want to, add some chopped ham.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...