Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Black Bean Salad with Mango and Avocado


We have a lot of mangoes in our hood right now. I may have mentioned this before. They are best peeled, cut, and enjoyed just as they are, juice running the length of your arm, little orange strings clogging your teeth. But since we have so many, I wanted to incorporate them in a few recipes. Got to get my act together for the recipe contest at the Mango Festival (July 28-29) you know.


This bean salad is the first real recipe I ever made as an adult. A group of students from my graduating class in college got together for a potluck. A potluck! I didn't know what to bring. I saw a version of this recipe posted on the wall of one of my classes (must have been nutrition? who knows) and decided to fix it for the get-together. I was so proud of my little bowl of beans.



Black Bean Salad with Mango and Avocado
This recipe was featured on Easy Natural Food
serves 4 (can be easily doubled)

For the dressing:
Juice and zest from 1 lime
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely minced
salt & pepper

For the salad:
1 can black beans, drained
1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
1 avocado, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 green onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro

In a medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. The amount of oil you use depends on how juicy your lime is, so taste as you go to make sure it's the consistency you like.

Add beans, mango, avocado, onion, and tomato to the bowl and toss very gently to coat. Garnish with cilantro. The longer it marinates in the dressing, the better it gets. Serve with rice or as a taco or burrito filling. Excellent addition to the potluck table. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love taco's and burritos and this would be a fabulous change up on the flavors I typically do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Salsa with mango is the bomb so I'm not surprised this looks so yummy. I've been enjoying mango on top of frozen greek yogurt with a little honey (mmm, so good).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful beautiful mangoes! That looks like an excellent summer lunch, and healthy too, yum!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...