Thursday, March 15, 2012

Award-winning Miso Sesame Dressing


Last weekend I entered a salad dressing contest at the Taste of Kalo in Kapa'au. Kapa'au is a small town in North Kohala on the island of Hawaii. The Taste of Kalo (kalo = taro) was put on by Community Harvest Hawaii, a wonderful organization that promotes food distribution in the community via free meals made from excess produce, and many other programs. Please check them out if you live in the area.


The event also included an Iron Chef style competition in which the participants had to use kalo in their recipes. We got to taste all the ono entries and vote for the best one. There was so much food, and the best part, it was all free!


Here the judges are presiding over the salad dressing tastings. My friend took this photo because contestants weren't allowed to watch the judging. Good thing for me, it's a little nerve wracking.


After stuffing ourselves with delicious island kalo and produce, the awards were announced. My salad dressing got third place! See the recipe below.

Rae with mounds of salad
Community Harvest Hawaii is helping to build a local, sustainable food system in North Kohala. Join them on the 2nd Friday and Saturday of every month at the Kohala Intergenerational Center in Kamehameha Park. 




Miso Sesame Dressing
Recipe also featured on Easy Natural Food
Dresses about 4 salads

1 garlic clove
1 piece of ginger, peeled, same size as garlic clove
1 green onion, white part only
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tsp mirin
1 tsp agave syrup
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Place all ingredients except oils into a food processor and pulse until combined and solids are thoroughly chopped. With the processor on, slowly drizzle in oils. You may need to add a little more oil or vinegar depending on how thick you like it. Taste. Add salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. AWESOME - Gwen for president 2012!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on winning. I want to make my own now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Congrats on the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!!!! Another award winning recipe on your belt. I love making Miso dressing, so I'm going to try your recipe. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Gwen! This sounds like an awesome dressing, I can see why you placed! I've pinned this so I can make it :) Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have chosen your dressing as my featured salad dressing this week! I have tweeted it, pinned it and shared it on my Facebook page. It will be featured on Summer Salad Sundays this coming Sunday. Thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again so

      Delete
    2. Yes! Mahalo Debbie, I hope you enjoy the dressing:)

      Delete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...