Sunday, June 2, 2013

Vintage Honolulu


We snuck in a couple vaca days in Honolulu before I had to report to work at my summer job this week. I'll be leading a team of 17 and 18 year olds on camping adventures on the Kona side of the Big Island, where I live. Along the way, we will be doing conservation work like building trails, planting native trees, and removing invasive species. I am more than stoked.


We stayed in Waikiki and just chilled since Dustin had hurt his back. This was totally fine with me having just finished a nightmare 2012-2013 school year, I needed some downtime.


Everywhere we went in Honolulu clues from the past kept popping up. I couldn't help but wonder what Waikiki would have been like in the '60s.


We also took some time to look at a few sailboats, we'd like to buy one next summer and plan so do a little world cruising. For real.


Aloha vintage Honolulu!


My friend Danielle introduced me to the La Mariana Sailing Club tiki bar. It is fully decked out in tiki regalia, complete with dive bar status. If you have never been, it is a must.


Of course we had SPAM musubis for breakfast, this one has bacon and egg. Nom.


For Memorial Day, Magic Island hosts an annual lantern lighting ceremony in which a message is placed in a lantern for a lost loved one, lit and set free in the ocean. (Don't worry, the lanterns are collected so they won't harm the environment). It is a beautiful way to remember and honor those that have gone before us.


We enjoyed some classy drinks poolside at The Modern Honolulu including a fab deconstructed mai tai garnished with a shiso leaf.


Even the carpet patterns are vintage.


Love the turquoise.


A rare snapshot of me. Hi!


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Love the snapshot of you. It's fantastic. Sounds like you had a lovely decompression trip. I bet the conservation stuff you'll be doing this summer will be awesome blossom! Have fun and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really want to visit Hawaii, and your photos make me want it more! :-) I hope Dustin is OK, and your summer job sounds fun! I'd love to spend more time outside in summer, but I have an office job.. Yay to your plans of buying a sailboat! It must be the best way to spend the weekends, especially on the islands - so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha Saturdays with Maggy reader! Thank you for your comments, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...